Re: Cling on!.

What the heck are you talking about!? You jumped through three subjects in
one message! Lay off the wine and get some sleep.

But, this does bring up something I have been thinking about. I was just
reading on Bob Bruninga's USNA satellite pages that the sat I had helped out
on (RAFT1) has been completed and sent down to JSC for vibration testing. I
am very happy - the radar transponder board is working well.

On Bob's site, you can read ALL about the details of the satellite and the
mission. For my team's part (we three hams in the Boston area) I have done
much the same - I made public ALL of documentation we have for the radar
transponder.

My reason for doing this was three fold: First, it made collaboration easier
since all of us has a common point to draw the latest documents from.
Second, it made bringing in other folks (such as a fellow with experience
with radio science and the NAVSPASUR radar) up to speed easier since all the
data and meeting minutes are quickly available. Lastly, I had the hope that
if somebody drifted our way, saw the documents, and found an error that we
has missed, they would email us (i think this is called open design?) or
that when the device is operating OR not operating, folks could check out
the docs and make suggestions and satisfy their curiosity about
consideration of a variable, such as temperature. (BTW, we did - and I am
almost sure that the SuitSat did - it is one of the first things you think
about).

And here is a fourth point about publishing the details. For the donation
funded projects, it make the donors feel like we are part of the mission,
and not like we just sent our money down a back hole.

I can understand that details certain components
It is 2006, guys. The internet age even. The folks working on Eagle got the
idea somewhat. It should be more like when you 'sponsor a child overseas',
where you get some word back from them about their progress. It is going to
take alot of donations to get the satellite done, give us something more in
return - let us in!

I think the P3E folks could publish info just using Notepad and a plain
website instead of waiting for some software to get completed.

--
David Goncalves