Re: lower frequency downlinks

Hi,

Andrew said..

>Part of my point was the available power. The Strela buss you mention as
>the basis for the RS3-8 sats has a mass of 64 kg, compared to a microsat
>like Echo/AO-51 with a mass of 11 kg. More mass, bigger satellite, more
>panels, more power. 64 kg is getting close to the size of our HEOs!

Agreed, the STRELA bus is heavy at 64Kgs but sizewise is pretty small. I got
the orbit height wrong, the rs3-8 birds were nearer 1600Kms circular, not
the 1000Kms I guessed at.
Modern construction methods could provide a far lighter bird in the same
physical envelope.

>BTW, what happened to the Russian ham satellite program?

I believe they ran out of money. A great pity IMHO because I'd be near the
front of the queue to put my hand in my pocket to help fly more linear
transponder RS type birds.

Kind Regards,
Al.
GM1SXX