Re: lower frequency downlinks

>From: "Al copland" <allan_gm1sxx@hotmail.com>
>These small craft although in LEO (I believe 1000Kms) put out cracking
>signals and were very popular birds.

The history pages on the AMSAT-NA website indicate the orbit was 689 x 1709
km with the sat's using a 1/4 wave whip on 10 metres.
http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/history.php

Satellites with 2 metre up, 10 metre down linear transponders in either LEO
- 1500km or MEO -4500 km orbits represent one of the best ways to attract
newcomers to satellite working.

It's only with satellites on the lower bands that enable those restricted to
indoor attic mounted antennas to participate in Amateur Satellites. 2.4 GHz
downlinks simply don't work with indoor antennas which is why we need both
types of satellite.

73 Trevor M5AKA