Re: lower frequency downlinks cont.

Pat,

Having the technical ability of building a satellite is one thing.
Having the ability, contacts and funds to launch is another....
So, I assume, since you don't know how to build one, you have a couple
million
dollars laying around to launch one?

Step one is to at least have a ground station capable of "communicating"
with the bird.
That is the "easy" part!

As for HF and LEO/HEO satellites, 10 and 15 meters can be a problem with LEO
satellites,
and difficult at best for a HEO scenario. The RS series of satellites were
primitive, but useful.

Did you ever take an Amateur exam where they talk about propagation?
The invisible D to F2 layers? When there "is" propagation on these bands,
that means the signals are not going out into space anymore, and thus
reflected
back to earth. Some call it DX. So, when there is propagation, signals from
space may not
make it to earth, bounce around or killed with QRM. With "weak" signals
(QRP) from a spacecraft,
one needs to have a decent antenna and receiver. Remember.. it's all in the
antenna!
Amps/preamps help.

Oh... I just threw KISS out of the equation.
Cans and a string would only work for a limited amount of orbits.

Back to the drawing board...

73, Scott