Re: lower frequency downlinks

Re the difficulty of accomodating antennae for lower frequency downlinks, I
believe it is a problem thats already been addressed quite successfully on
small space-craft in the past.

To the best of my knowledge (1), Oscars 5,6,7,9(AKA Uosat1) plus the Russian
RS series of birds carried antennae for the 10M band. On the Oscars,
carpenter's tape antennae seems to have been the norm.

Since there is not a great deal of data on the very popular but sadly
defunct Russian RS birds, one has to suppose that they also used some sort
of workable 10M antenna that fitted into a small space on the launcher.
Although in some cases (I have no easy way to check this) such antennae may
have been compromised designs, the performance was generally pretty good
with the RS birds in particular.

Obviously a bird would have to have a low spin rate and not be tumbling when
such antennae are deployed, but deployable HF antennas are a proven
technology, and not only on AMSATsatellites.

73 Al.
GM1SXX
(1) Information source.. The Satellite Experimenter's Handbook .