From: "Andrew Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
To: <brobertson@mta.ca>; <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 22:46 UTC
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [amsat-bb] lower frequency downlinks

> >I wonder the opposite of Patrick's question, namely:
> >for what reasons do we continue to use 2m in P3E and Eagle?
> >

> Because as I hear repeatedly at hamfests, AO-10 and AO-13 operators want
Mode B. Since they are willing to help pay for the satellite, we need to
give them what they want in order to get their money.

> We were _REALLY_ lucky that our forced* migration to 2.4 ghz on AO-40
coincided with the cheap availability of some rather excellent surplus gear
that was as good or better than the commercial ham stuff being sold. While I
think the 2.4 ghz downlink is superior to Mode B, there are certainly
exceptions. People who live under trees comes to mind as a good example.
While S isn't hard, it is slightly more complicated. I can understand from
the Mode B operator that point of view too.