Re: FIRST CONTACT (for me)

On 1/25/06, Bruce Robertson <broberts@mta.ca> wrote:

> In my experience, SO-50 does not transmit at all unless someone transmits
> on the uplink, and even then there is a small delay. For this reason, I
> found it hard to work with a handheld outside. With a rotatable antenna
> indoors, I find it quite fun. Furthermore, as indicated elsewhere, it must
> be activated with a 74.4 Hz tone.

I don't have a problem with SO-50 with a handheld outside, although if
I wasn't able to operate full duplex I'm sure it would be more
difficult to find it until someone else turned it on and transmitted a
couple CQ's.  SO-50's signal is also weaker than AO-51 and AO-27 so it
might be hard to pick up with a quarter wave omni without a preamp.

> (Note for future transponder builders:
> some timeout indicator, perhaps via an unusual tone or 'chime' in the
> downlink, would help users know when they need to reset the timer.)

It would also be nice if a confirmation tone could be transmitted when
the satellite successfully receives the activation tone.

73,
Mark VO1ONE