Re: AO-51 USB/FM

At 12:01 PM 1/20/2006, DOBarrows@aol.com wrote:
>I had some success with the usb/fm mode on AO-51 this week.  It seemed easier
>because 1) there is less contention with not so many stations on the input
>and 2) the bird didn't fade out as badly as it usually does.  Is
>AO-51 running
>more power this week or is it just better propagation?

Listened to AO-51 while on the road between Melbourne and
Adelaide.  Good signals from the bird for the most part, even on the
mobile.  However, although I heard a station calling CQ, I had a LOT
of trouble understanding the audio.  The deviation on the downlink
was way too low for operating in noisy environments (e.g. mobile) or
with marginal signals.  I can now understand why one user suggested
in here to use narrow FM mode - that would have done wonders for
bringing the downlink audio up to scratch.

Unfortunately, I don't have SSB gear in the mobile, so I wasn't able
to attempt operation, even if I could hear it better.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com