Memories (was Re: AO-7 Predictability.)

At about the time AO-7 was launched I was twelve years old and desperately
wanted to be a ham radio operator. My dad held the callsign W4HIJ and was an
ARRL member so we got QST regularly. I don't think he even got to look at
them good before I had them voraciously reading up on all manner of
different subjects that interested me at the time. I'm not sure I even
realized there was such a thing as amateur satellites till I started seeing
the information on AO-7.
 I vividly remember the Oscarlocators and I don't know how it seemed to you
folks that were actually operating the sat but to a twelve year old kid,
still trying to master 5wpm code, it was an immensely complicated and exotic
looking affair.
 I was finally liscensed at the age of fifteen and with the excitement of
that and all the world of things I had yet to learn about ham radio, I kind
of forgot about satellites. I think the impression AO-7 made kind of always
hung around in the back of my mind and I thought of it from time to time but
 it wasn't until the events leading up to and the subsequent launch of AO-40
that I paid any serious attention to sats again. I did not have the time or
resources to attempt building an AO-40 station though so my station still
remained basically "HF only"  except for a dual band 2m/70cm FM rig.
 What finally got me started thinking about  the sats again was realizing
AO-51 was up there and that I could operate it with my dual band radio. It
didn't take but one or two sessions of listening to the downlink  and doing
research on the internet before I knew I was going to want much more than
just FM sat capability. I also found out that my old accquaintance AO-7 had
awakened from a long sleep which I hadn't realized till then. Maybe at long
last I could work it.
 I'm still putting together my station and I have the whole nine yards as
far as a tracking box and a modern "DC to daylight" radio and soon when I
finally put the last pieces into place I will try and work the bird that I
believe actually planted the seed for my satellite interest some 31 years
ago.
73,
Michael W4HIJ
AMSAT # 36017