Doppler tuning

What's the accepted convention these days for the linear sats: tune uplink
or downlink or the highest freq or the lowest freq?  The FM birds (even on
S band) are great tuning just the downlink.  (I'm planning to use 2 FT817s
for portable AO7 etc.)  Any hints for that?  What's a realistic expectation
for power output on 2 and 70cm from a portable 817?)

I've been watching the discussion of tuning on the current SSB up/FM down
mode, though I haven't had a chance to try it.  Why wouldn't you simply set
your uplink exactly as you do in FM, and leave it there?  Then tune the
downlink.

Tnx and 73,
Tony, N2UN