Re: Easy? (was Re: AO-7 Predictability.)

Hi Ed and the Gang,

Don't laugh but I'm still using my Johnson 6N2 as a linear on 2M.  I
converted it to linear operation when I completed my HB transverter about
ten or twelve years ago when I got back on the air.  I intended to switch
to something more modern but somehow I never got around to it.  It puts
out about 50 watts now before the 5894 starts to draw grid current so it
is more than enough for any of the satellites.  I also used my DSP-10 to
drive it for awhile and got about 25 watts out that way.  The DSP-10 with
its companion 8 watt "Brikette" amp works fine for FO-29 however (even
though mine puts out only about 6 watts).

I still use transverters for 2m and 435 (a DEM unit), an old Yaesu
FT-107M for transmit and a FT-840 for receive.  I have a second 840 that
I want to convert to a low level transmitter for the transverters but I
need a couple of the small push in RF connectors that connect modules
together in the 840. They look almost like a miniature RCA phono
connector.   I can cut the existing cables and make the mod but I wanted
to keep them intact in case I ever wanted to restore the unit to normal
operation. I haven't tried Yaesu yet for replacement cables.

I watch with interest, the newcomers who agonize over the "best" rig for
satellite operations.  You really don't need a lot to get on the LEO
birds and I believe that simple is better for inexperienced operators. We
have a large number of stations on the analog birds now that can't get on
frequency with the super doppler tracking rigs because the offset is not
correct.  I don't think we had as many problems like that when everyone
was using separate rigs for transmit and receive.  Even with the new rigs
I think the new operators are selling themselves short by not starting
out in manual split mode of operation.  After you operate that way for
awhile you get a very good feel for how the doppler affects the uplink
and downlink signals and what it sounds like. I think it would then be
easier to make the tracking rigs work properly.  I don't think you ever
get that "feel" if you always let the computer do everything for you.
After you operate that way for awhile you develop a "calibrated wrist".
You can just roll right on frequency when you start transmitting.  You
just need to remember which way to tune depending on which satellite
(sideband) you're on. Of course never having had one of the new rigs
maybe my views  are just sour grapes!  I started to buy a new rig last
year but I thought - what the heck - my junk still works OK!

73 de Jess - W4MVB