Re: Easy? (was Re: AO-7 Predictability.)

Beginner is right!

There weren't too many folks to ask for info, either.   I still have
(I think)  OScarlocators for  Oscar 6,7,8,  RS5-6-7-8, and AO-10
around here. All home made from tracings in QST, World Radio, etc.
For those of you who don't remember any of this,  they would publish
the equatorial crossing time and degrees of longitude of the first pass
of each day.  Then you used that information to set your "Oscarlocator"
and the rest was sort of like a  round slide rule!
W1AW transmitted this information in the bulletins also.  As long as you
had that information you could figure the rest out for yourself.

Actually those old birds were more "easysat" than the new ones.
You didn't need anything special to work them. At that time (mid-
1970's) it seems that EVERYBODY had  H.F. gear and some sort
of  2 meter FM box or old 2 meter rig of some kind could be found
easily that could at least transmit CW.  That and just about any antenna
for 2 and 10 meters, and you were in business!  The variety of radios
being
used was amazing.  WW2 surplus, converted FM rigs, transverters, homebrew
transmitters, preamps, etc. of every kind you can imagine.

Pretty exciting stuff!

73,
John,  K6YK