Re: FT-847 frequency drift fix

Alan WA4SCA wrote:

Many have noted the tendency of the FT-847 to drift excessively,
especially during transmitting periods.  OZ1PIF came up with a simple
and cheap modification which dramatically improves the situation.  It
involves attaching a simple thermostatically controlled heater to the
main xtal, and insulating it from the cooling fan draft.  You can see
the mod at http://home24.inet.tele.dk/oz1pif/QH40A.htm and order the
QH40A directly from Kuhne
http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/english/special/crystalheater.htm
or SSB Electronics at http://www.ssbusa.com/  I got mine from Kuhne
directly, promptly, and no hassle.

Wayne W9AE replies:

Thanks for this great information!  SSB Electronics USA (570-868-5643)
also has the QH40A crystal heater in stock for $21 each.  I just ordered
one for my FT-847.  Hopefully it will greatly reduce the 200-300 Hz
drift when transmitting with high power on 70cm.

Alan, please send me details of the easier connection method.  Thanks!

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA