Satellite tracking et al

After reading all these posts about "easy-sats", computer tracking
and auto Doppler correction, I thought I'd dig out some of the old
stuff. So i dug out my 1990 copy of " The Satellite Experimenters
Handbook ", looked up Appendix C-1, 'Tracking Data and Overlays'....
It looked like double-dutch, I've forgotten how to fabricate and use
the Oscar-Locator!. I always seemed to be able to find AO-7 in its
heyday ( first time round ) but I shudder to think how long I used to
spend, working out when the next usable window would be. Todays pace
of life just doesn't seem to have a time slot available to do all
these 'computer' things that we now now take for granted, that we now
call " Computer Station Control"... Even the Log-Book was paper and pen...