Re: AO-51 SSB/FM mode

At 06:08 PM 1/16/2006, Andrew Glasbrenner wrote:
>The AO-51 control operator had to reduce the audio level from the
>SSB receiver to the FM transmitter because stations were heard using
>excessive power on the uplinks resulting in distortion and other
>problems with the downlink.

This is a very good idea for an experiment.

I think it's important to balance the difference between stations
that are over modulating and using compression and stations using
something like an IC-201. However, I think it was a bit
overdone.  Somewhere in the middle between the previous setting and
the setting on this experiment may be a better setting.

>Regardless, I made contacts on the 0142 pass  with KI4HXT, N5UXT,
>and W8EH with 2.5 watts to an Arrow antenna from a FT-817, and using
>a TH-F6A for receive. I was the weakest of the stations heard.
>So...here's the deal, if you are running more than 5 watts on this
>uplink from a home station, you are running too much power. Let's
>all take this opportunity to see just how QRP we can go, and give
>the little guys a chance.

I made contacts with only W7JPI this AM, but after adjusting my audio
gain "up" from where I work FO-29, VO-52 and AO-7  I was able to work
W7JPI, WC7V, KD5MSS, and WA7IRW (a new station for me).  It's a shame
- it took 75 percent mike gain and 35 watts to work normal contacts
on this pass - normally I use 25 percent and about 3 watts,  I think
it has more to do with the receive antenna on the satellite.

>Also, whats with one of the regulars calling CQ over stations in the
>middle of a QSO? It's still a single channel satellite....one at a time please?

It must be a east coast thing - no one here on the west coast calls
CQ unless they are in far southern California or Alaska.  As has been
suggested in the past most stations here only call the stations they hear.

>OK, hope you enjoy this mode, it's my favorite on AO-51

Not my favourite - but that's entertainment!

73,

Emily