Re: AO-51 SSB/FM mode

Drew,

I heard you a couple times, but your signal was one of the weakest copied on
the sat. If the downlink to me had been more noisy on this end, I would not
have copied. Thanks for the QSO.

50 watts to a beam pumps it pretty good, but 5-10 is workable most of the
time. The distant passes were difficult at 5 watts on TX.

The RX seems to be getting 'desensed' at times by something or another
nearby signal. I noticed this on the last pass up the west coast. It could
have been the interlopers south of the border. It is causing the SSB receive
audio to drop. Several stations that were transmitting fairly clear then had
their audio quickly drop to unreadable levels, only to return to normal
readable levels in the same transmission. Maybe too many stations
transmitting at once?

I like this SSB/FM mode. It seems to have generated a lot of interest. That
west coast pass sounded like a DX pileup on 20 meters. :)

Ernie W8EH

--

Ernie Howard, Jr    W8EH    Middletown, Ohio
E-mail: w8eh@arrl.net