RE: Next step

If I remember correctly the FT-920 is a HF only rig? With those two rigs you could try Mode A on AO-7, but to really operate the SSB birds correctly (especially as a newbie) you need full duplex capability. I'd suggest either adding a 2m or 70cm all mode radio, or a all mode receiver that covers both bands. Another option is adding receive converters like those from Hamtronics to convert the downlinks to 10m and feed that into the 920. This will open up Modes B and J on FO-29, AO-7, VO-52, as well as future high orbit satellites.

People have and can operate the SSB birds half duplex, but there is a very steep learning curve to do that, and it is easy to QRM others or overpower the satellite when you can't hear your own downlink.

Congratulations on deciding to move up to the SSB birds! It's a load of fun, and I hope you enjoy it.

73, Drew KO4MA