AO-51 SSB/FM mode

I've just used a pass over the Atlantic to test out the SSB/FM mode on
AO-51. I can confirm Stephan's observation that this is a relatively QRO
mode: the same 5w which do just fine on FO-29 and on SO-50 and AO-51 in FM
modes is apparently insufficient here. As a guess, I'd say I need about 3
more dB because I can hear myself whistling but a speech signal is too far
into the noise of the FM signal.

This raises two questions:

A) Does anyone know why this would be the case?

B) When are we going to run this same mode but with CW permitted in the
uplink :-) ?

73, Bruce
VE9QRP