Re: ISS

John
The frequencies are no big secret.....there have been multiple posts here
about how to set up your radio to correct for the doppler. I pasted the
method at the end of this post.

As far as joining the club....you have a ham license ...then you're already
in it.

We all help each other out here. This morning I made my UHF contact with
ISS ...I asked Bill if he would try and contact a handicapped student who
couldn't get to my station because of snow here in NJ. He was trying using
his kenwood 2000 with 20 watts to a verticle. Bill asked everyone to hold
off calling while he called this kids call sign (KC2FDQ) 3 times. We
weren't successful but, hey, that's part of the game too.

I run a big  gun station and can get in on any pass, but I've only made two
contacts. One on VHF passing Ed Coles call sign and schedule in Alaska up
to ISS to help Bill get his WAS and one this morning on UHF trying to help
KC2FDQ. My Son Sean KC2DIJ made one on UHF the day before.

Don't get frustrated by lack of success, sooner or later you'll nail it.
Talking to an astronaut is not so much a contact but an accomplishment.

Keep learning and keep trying.... we love it when some one posts their
first contact here on the board.  !!!

Al Emer, N2YAC
Amsat 30942

Ken Ransom sent this to the club:

------------------------------------
This weekend (Jan 14-15 UTC) Bill McArthur plans to operate on the UHF band
exclusively. It is his desire to work all continents on the UHF band from
the International Space Station.

The frequency he will be using will be 437.55 simplex. Due to the high
Doppler effect on this band, one will need to operate split frequencies for
most of the pass. A very simplified chart showing memory assignment for
transmit and receive with 5 KHz spacing is below as an example .

Mem.     TX     -    RX
Ch A - 437.540 - 437.560  Acquisition of signal (AOS)
Ch B - 437.545 - 437.555
Ch C - 437.550 - 437.550  Time of closest approach (TCA)
Ch D - 437.555 - 437.545
Ch E  -437.560 - 437.540  Loss of signal (LOS)

Good Luck and 73,

Kenneth G. Ransom - N5VHO
ISS Ham Radio Project Engineer
Johnson Space Center