Re: OT, how to seperate mast sections.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Rush" <david@rushtone.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] OT, how to seperate mast sections.

> Rusty Jeep mechanics swear by a product called PB Blaster (I've found it
> at my local Carquest auto parts store).  Use it like you would Liquid
> Wrench or WD40.
>
> Another option to consider is heat - using a propane torch to heat (and
> expand) the outer layer of tubing.
>
> David, KY7DR

This has always worked for me...  Invert the mast sections, so that Liquid
Wrench applied to the joint will run down into it.  Heat the outer tube with
a propane torch, wait just a minute or two for it to cool below the ignition
point of Liquid Wrench, then spray the joint liberally.  Tap all around with
a rubber mallet or block of wood & spray again.  Let it soak overnight, then
heat again, a little more gently.  Should pull apart fairly easily now.

George, KA3HSW