Ideas regarding Internet support for the new HEOs

Quoting Andrew Glasbrenner <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>:

> Now....ground based relays would be uber-cool. Imagine a 10-20 khz wide
> transponder on the ground linking 2 HEOS on opposite sides of the
> planet. You'd need a pretty fat pipe between groundstations, and a
> healthy uplink, but wow...that would be an innovation (for us hams at
> least).
>
> 73, Drew KO4MA

This enters into a topic that I've been mulling over for the last while:
It is none too early for us to conceptualize the Internet support that will
make the new HEO satellites even more useful and interesting for
experimental purposes. A list to begin the brainstorm:

1. Internet linking transponder, as described above

2. Distributed telemetry collection system, in the manner of SSETI Express.
 I believe the built-in tracking and maps are not needed in this situation.
Probably this is already happening, but if it isn't, perhaps someone from
P3E Express and Eagle should talk to the students who worked on that system .

3. Planning, chatting and logging site, something like
http://www.emilyshouse.com/experthams/ao7/main.php

4. Perhaps a Wiki environment in which to house advice for new operators,
plans for antennas, etc. For AO40, this was spread around many different
websites, servers, etc. I believe the kind of dialogue and distillation
that happens on a Wiki would improve the information transfer.

5. Echolink bridging stations. I've never used echolink yet, but I imagine
this would provide an excellent means of introducing new hams to satellite
operations. One could reserve one corner of the passband for these setups,
or other approaches could be taken under SDR. The newcomer would need to
master pass prediction for the location of the bridge and would meet live
satellite operators from around the world. Conversely, experienced
operators could explain satellite operations to newcomers while actually
using the bird. Schools could conduct experiments using HEO satellites
without purchasing all the equipment.

On a related topic, after reading the article on CC-Rider in the latest
journal, I've been thinking about its potential in emergency situations. Am
I right in believing that this could provide a disaster-struck area with a
periodic bridge to Internet services? (One of Tom's pages suggests 64 kbps
per station.) I'm imagining a suitcase-sized station that, when deployed
and hooked up to 802.11 could allow a small group of emergency workers to
use the mail, web and chat tools with which they are already familiar. This
is a compelling vision which could possibly excite agencies far beyond our
usual organizations.

So I'd add to the list:

6. Knoppix-like disk that turns your average laptop into a CC-Rider-based
Internet bridge :-)

73, Bruce
VE9QRP