Re: Predictability of AO-7 Modes

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the kuddos.  AO-7 is really a passion for me, so I am
really pleased that we have a way to collect data and display
it.  It's not really "scientific" because it's based on data
collected from observations rather than any form of telemetry that
the spacecraft is sending, but it's a good predictor and as you say,
no sense looking for Mode A in the winter.

I think one thing that is interesting is that there were Mode A
passes in the winter, and I have a theory that it is staying in Mode
B or C (low power Mode B) more because people are respecting the QRP
nature of AO-7.  My theory is that since it's not being over powered
by strong signals this allows AO-7 to stay in it's higher power modes
more frequently (originally 8 and 2 watts for Modes B and C, 1 watt
for Mode A).  But it's really only a theory, again without TLM there
is no real way to tell for sure.  The other theory is that it may
have something to do with the duration of eclipses and where (in
latitude) it emerges from eclipse.  But I haven't finished looking at
that data yet.

73,

Emily