Satellite-to-Satellite communications

I was sitting here reading the Nov/Dec AMSAT Journal thinking about Eagle and
P3E when it hit me.  Are their any sat-to-sat circuits being built into these
satellites?  If we are going to have daily coverage of a HEO by 2009 and
continuous coverage by 2012 I think having the additional sat-to-sat circuits
would be very useful for providing worldwide coverage.

Uncle Sam finally figured that out with the new MilStar sats.  Otherwise data
had to be relayed by ground stations between satellites to cover the area.

Any ideas???

73s,
Eric KF4OTN