Another 70cm preamp question, downconverter questions

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael A. Tondee
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:03 PM
Subject: Another 70cm preamp question, downconverter questions

Hi all,
As I'm budgeting out my funds to get the reamainder of my sat station up and
running, I'm running into the age old problem of the money not quite
stretching far enough so I'm wondering what I might trim away.
 Is a 70 cm preamp a neccesity or a convenience? I'd certainly like to have
one but do I have to have it? So far I have, the TS-2000X, a  homebrew
Saebretrack  rotor/tracking system and homebrew 2 meter and 70 cm antennas
under construction. I'm also going to need an SWR meter capable of 70cm
operation to tune that antenna as I do not have one yet. I have no S-band
downconverter at present either but the surplus MMDS type seem to have become
rare which leaves me with only higher cost commercial alternatives. Are there
any downconverter kits out there? Perhaps I should wait on P3E for that. I
intend to be active on both FM and linear  birds.
 Yes, I know it seems I'm trying to do everything at once but that's kind of
my nature.
Tnx and 73,
Michael, W4HIJ
AMSAT # 36017
( Bitten by the bug and the most excited I've been about ham radio in years!)