Re: FM on ssb/cw designed hamsats

On 6 Jan 2006 at 12:38, Trevor M5AKA wrote:

> Luc, that figure impies there are 7500 AMSAT members in groups outside the
> USA. How do you justify such a high estimate ? I'd have thought we'd be
> lucky to get 1500 members of various non-US AMSAT groups and some of those
> will also be members of AMSAT-NA.
>
> 73 Trevor M5AKA

Good point Trevor

I am throwing the first stone in the pound. i'm could be wrong in my estimates
but keeping the 300K$ figures the only one factor to adjust is the per member
contribution!

If i am really a satellite fan any direct contribution to a satellite fund will
only boost my interest knowing that some folks interest is to build/construct
things and on my side the only one push i can give is to help paying for what
they build.

Lets see now how the various AMSAT'S really wants to do. Status quo is not a
solution.  AMSAT-UK put a 10K contribution and some other AMSAT'S also
contribute in the past. Sure a huge planning will be necessary as the various
AMSAT'S will surely push for their own interest.  There is come the planning!
what the sat users wants first?

Set the goals...the first, the second and so on. You are right a good survey by
each AMSAT'S regarding their membership plus all the other sat users in the
world will be a good start. The guy in Madagascar alone on his island will
probably be one of the first supporter if he see a sound well structured
project where he can see his contribution added to all the other one can make a
real difference at the end. ( no lotto effect here)

Some will say there is no need to implement a fixed satellite fee in an AMSAT'S
as each one can "donate" at their own will, let say an added universal
satellite construction fee will not change their will as they wants to pay a
membership fee not only to attend convention and seminars but they contribute
to build and launch satellites and the learning is accessory not the reverse...

If there is no change in our reasoning the outcome is risky as the new blood is
a drying resources. Pretty soon AMSAT'S will be just only a senior citizen
morning activity where old folks rag chew about the next one waiting to meet
old friends at the next convention.

I can live with this but lets say i will be glad to pay an additional amount of
$$ to be able to have something to rag chew on.

With 4000 members paying 75$ we are still producing our 300000$ year after
year...!

The 75$ is too high added to the regular membership fee?  Just pay the 75 and
forget about the rest. No bells and wistles you will fund a satellite not an
organization period. This way you are putting your money where your mike
is...just behind your sat rig.

When i say you above i mean us our whole group.

"-"
that holds the license."

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
AMSAT 33583