Re: FM on ssb/cw designed hamsats

Selon Luc Leblanc VE2DWE <lucleblanc6@videotron.ca>:

> On 6 Jan 2006 at 9:21, Hans ZS6AKV wrote:

> Here is why i strongly suggest to let go our continental ego and put our
> forces
> together in implementing a worldwide satellite construction fund where
> with a
> small contribution added to our individual membership fee will generate
> regular yearly income.

I doubt egos have much to do with it: after all, AMSAT-DL states that their
relations with AMSAT-NA are quite good and that they are receiving funds
from them. Similarly, the people working on Eagle express gratitude towards
AMSAT-DL members who gave them some great lessons on amplifier design to
work towards SDR.

The fundamental problem is that an international organization would have a
very difficult time establishing itself, much less offering tax receipts. I
believe the current approach, with national groups giving donations to each
other, is more efficient.

(The situation with AMSAT-NA is not a helpful analogy here. My experience
with a similar venture suggests that the Canadian government would not
offer charitable status to a AMSAT-CAN if it were established.)

Moreover, it is natural that different regions and nations should have
differing experiments and goals when it comes to amateur satellites. VO-52,
for example, is very much an Indian project, responding to the interests
and demands of the majority of hams from that part of the subcontinent. In
contrast, AMSAT-DL and -NA are focussed on HEO and BEO (Beyond Earth Orbit
:-) because of the preponderence of their local interests. Not that others
don't make use of these: VO-52 is a great resource for Europe and NA; Eagle
and P3E will no doubt be alive with singals from the Indian subcontinent.

It would be interesting to hear from, say, Argentina, N.Z. and Australia on
this matter. Are their projects being starved of funds? Should the more
populous organizations be supporting their projects better?

73, Bruce
VE9QRP