Re: A couple more Tonna Questions

Joe

I used Tonna 2m and 70cm antennas about 20 years ago. I stopped using them
because the 70cm antenna (at least) didn't perform well at 435 MHz; it turned
out that it was cut for 432, not 435. I asked Tonna how to modify it but
never got a reply. Thin elements (about 8-gauge) didn't have the bandwidth
that other antennas with tubing elements have. Make sure that the antenna is
specified for 435 rather than 432.

> 1. How is the antenna connected to a crossboom or mast?  (Would it be
> easy to attach it in an X pattern or only in a + pattern?)

As far as I recall I made a 45 degree bracket from thick aluminium to achieve
the X orientation on them.

> 2. The elements appear to be insulated from the boom.  Is this correct?

There was no insulation on the models I had; went thru a hole in the boom and
were retained with spring clips.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org