ISS Astronaut Schedule

I have read where ISS Expedition 12 Commander Bill McArthur, KC5ACR, is
looking to work several areas before returning to earth.  One was to work
Alaska.

Having never gotten to work the shuttle, MIR, or ISS, so I looked into
this.  Alaska see's ISS approx. 0300-0800 utc over three very low passes
(highest elevation is about 15-degrees and most are about 2-degree
elevation with 1900-km range).  Then I go to the ISS website and read that
they sleep 2130-0630 utc.  They often work ham radio at 1200utc
"lunchtime".  Weekends they have been on 0800-2200 utc.

So that does not provide much hope for them to be active over Alaska (when
they are asleep).  There is a nice pass at 0718-0727 utc Jan. 3 with max
elevation of 14-degrees.  What are the chances that they will be operating
at that time of their day (my 2318-2327)?

I have listened many times for astronauts over the years and never heard
them.  It appears to me that they are actually not very interested in being
active other than over CONUS and EU.  I have never heard of a school in
Alaska having an ISS contact, either (of course I could be mistaken on that).

Are the astronauts active when the cross-band repeater is activated?  Or is
this a waste of time?

73's,
Ed - KL7UW