Re: Net control

>...directed list HF operations make contacts at a
>FAR SLOWER rate than the typical DX or contest
>operation.  Good DX and contest stations make
>200+ contacts per hour. Directed list operations
>only make about 60 contacts per hour.

Thats because they have an hour to play with
and they use the HF rules that each contact must
be spoken over and over again by both ends
of the QSO.  A 5 to 8 minute ISS pass is so far
different, both in time and mechanism, that it
does not make sense to compare them.

I'm only saying that we should be smart enough
to modify our operating procedures  (and rules
and awards if needed) to optimize the throughput
on the ISS FM repeater.    Operating it like HF
is just plain failing to recognize the differences.

and to take advantage of them...
Bob, WB4APR

On an FM satellite we could never match the rate of a DXpedition that
has the luxury to spread out the calling stations over a range of
frequencies.  But I hear about 50 successful 2-way contacts on a "good"
FM satellite pass (maybe Bob's east coast passes are worse than the ones
I hear).  A directed net would never make that many contacts in one
pass.  A directed net would allow some inexperienced or low-power
operators to make a few contacts, but at a cost of reducing the total
number of contacts made.

The number of successful 2-way contacts on the FM satellites would
increase dramatically if two rules were rigidly followed:
1. Don't transmit if you can't hear the satellite well.
2. Most importantly, don't transmit if another QSO is in progress.  That
is, DON'T TRANSMIT after hearing "W1ABC this is W6XYZ" (unless you are
W1ABC).  Only transmit after W1ABC responds to complete the 2-way
contact.  It doesn't take a genius to recognize the difference between a
"call" and a "response".  Only transmit after a "response"!!!  The
problem is how to enforce these rules.  Some have tried sending
explanatory emails to people who call in the middle of a QSO.  Possibly
a "big gun" could break in and say "W5XXX, don't call in the middle of a
QSO".

G0MRF wrote:

Also listing stations to call in without being able to prioritise by
geographic location will be problematic and lead to stations being
called to make their QSO just after their LOS.

W9AE replies:

Similar problems occur with directed nets on HF.  Sometimes there is
propagation between the aspiring DXer and the DX station, but no
propagation between the aspiring DXer and the net control station.
Directed nets maintain civility, but at a fraction of the productivity
of typical on-air DX/contest chaos.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA