RE: Crossband repeat on ISS

I'm certainly not opposed to having a system to improve operations on the FM
birds but it does seem to be a daunting task. Since we are currently dealing
with theoretical solutions, consider the following:

To provide enough net controls for 1 orbit of ISS, you would need at least
10 control ops in perfectly spaced positions to be able to hand off the duty
of net control. These net controls would need to be available at all times
of the day and night since the orbit times are not at the same time of day.
ISS has 16 orbits around the Earth so now we need 160 net controls who can
perform their duty 24/7 every day of the year (presuming that packet gets
located to a different system).

Even if we scale this down to just the continental USA, 4 well placed net
controls with "Big Gun" stations would need to be ready to cover each of the
9 daily passes of ISS that occur every day. Some of these stations could
cover multiple passes but you should still plan for 36 net control operators
just to make sure each net control has an optimal pass.

Next, the net controls will need to hand over the stations that are still in
their queue to the next net control. That further eats up the time that is
available on the bird. That could be solved by having an electronic master
list but keep in mind that the footprint is constantly moving. By the time a
station checks in, gets logged, waits his/her turn then the station he wants
to contact is either out of the footprint or the waiting station goes LOS.

The normal rules of net operations don't work well when the coverage area of
the net is moving. A new set of priority rules would have to be developed
but even then, the quick edge of footprint to footprint contact is no longer
a possibility since one now has an added layer and less time to make the
exchange.

Speaking of exchange, can we agree on what is necessary to make the quick
satellite QSO? Having a standard on the FM birds might reduce the time that
operators spend making lengthy exchanges and free up time for other
stations.

Could we give this a dry run using SO-50 since it is always in FM repeater
mode? That would give the net controls some practice time before being
overwhelmed by the newbie masses trying for ISS.

Kenneth - N5VHO