Re: Crossband repeat on ISS

At 10:58 AM 1/2/2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> >The current Leo "free-for-all" is not working well...
> >Who will volunteer to be NC?  Someone needs to
> >step forward to coordinate this.
>
>Yes, a big gun can do it on any pass, but it will only
>be effective if it becomes a long term way of operating.
>And I think the only way that can work is to have
>the automated WEB page sign up list for volunteers
>to reserve a pass as net control.

SOme interesting ideas here.  Brings back memories of SO-35.  I used
to be the schedule manager for the VK/ZL region when SO-35 was
active, and I "designed" the passes so that the major parts of the
VK/ZL region  got a fair go.  This meant that it was easy for hams to
go to my page and see when and where the passes were, complete with
AOS, LOS and maximum elevation for major cities in the region.  No
tracking software needed.

The "big gun" problem doesn't happen here so much (I was a "big gun"
with a HT and portable beam!).  and sharing worked reasonably well
here, but just like with digital protocols, one of the biggest time
wasters is the interactive to'ing and fro'ing during each QSO.  To
save time, I would often give multiple signal reports in the same
over - "VK2ABC 59, VK4XX 56 VK3ZZ 59".  Information such as location
would only be given on initial contact (first QSO) and when
specifically requested.  Similarly, I would collect QTH and other
pertinent data from other participants passively while waiting my
next turn to access the bird.  Saves a LOT of transponder time and
minimises redundancy.

This does require cooperation, clueful operators and some patience,
but it can work well. :)  It can sometimes feel a little strange, and
sometimes the other station doesn't manage to get through due to QRM
and the QSO is never completed (honesty is needed here ;) ).  Also,
full duplex is highly recommended.  I always ran full duplex on
SO-35.  This allowed me to minimise the amount of QRM I
created.  Knowing I had a potent signal most of the time, I was able
to quickly unkey if someone else hit the PTT at the same time.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com