Re: NCS for ISS/FM leo sat's

>>> "Greg Wycoff" <<1/01/06 8:03 PM >>>
>Having a NCS for the ISS repeater or a FM satellite.
>What a stupid idea, ...give up the idea of grid square
>chasing or looking for that state they need for WAS,

I think you missunderstand the concept.  None of that
has to be given up.  If people want to chase grid squares,
just reserve as many passes as you want for grid
square chasing and operate the entire pass inviting rare
grids to check in.  In otherwords, no matter what activity
you want to do, reserve the bird for that purpose and
then you will be able to do *that activity* better and
more efficiently during *that* pass.

>or just the simple idea of saying hi to a friend.

If you want to say hi to  afriend, then reserve a pass
and then you can be sure he can get back to you and
won't be blocked by all the contention.

>we went thru all this when AO-51 first went active
>everyone said they could not work it and gave up
>and was mad at everyone that could.

Just think of it this way.  The reserved-directed-net
approach simply replaces the "contention" from the RF
uplink by moving the "contention"  over to the
"reservation list"...

There will still be contention, and debate and arguments
over what part of ham radio is better than what
other part, and who is doing what to whom, or who is
being fair, but at least that squabling is not done in
the blind by overload on the uplink.  It is done on
the web.

While the squabbling will continue (on the reservation
list) at least those that respect the directed-net
concept will have an efficient use of the transponder
for their 10 minutes of reserved activity.  I would
expect to see lots of special events... and grid chasing
and just about everything else.  AND you can plan
on it by checking the list to see what is the focus
of a given pass.

Or just listen and respond in kind when invited to
transmit.

de Wb4APR, Bob