Re: Crossband repeat on ISS

You make the point very well for a directed net!

>My experience is that the big guns are always talking
>to each other, tailgating ...
>I understand that someone has to talk, but waiting
>for 10 degrees AH before transmitting is a good practice...

Ah, but not transmitting until invited is a better practice.

We do it on HF, we do it in DX, we do it in pileups.
We have a centruy of experience with listening first
before transmitting and not transmitting until the
frequency is clear or we are invited.

>There is abuse happening, and there are big gun
>stations that are playing the  "I'm a big gun and
>don't I sound pretty" game.

Yes, but they are communicating.  Just stopping
the big guns would accomplish absolutely nothing
except insuring that no one was heard.  Because
then you would have still the same 100 peanut
whistles transmitting and they would still all collide
but instead of hearing a big gun, you wouldnt
hear anyone but colllided FM mush.

>Someday, we might have better operators...
>In my limited experience on the HAM
>radio scene (5 years), this is the picture that
>I've seen.  It's not pretty and  it's quite silly.

But it is not a problem with power, it is the
extreme limit of the resource and the large
number of people wanting  it.   A comparison
is 100 people show up for the handout of
$100 in free cash.  The donor tosses the
wad into the crowd.  10 fight tooth and nail
and get most of it.  The other 90% get
nothing.   But they sure do get to complain...

On the other hand, the donor can hand out
all 100 of the $1 dollar bills one at a time.
It will work, everyone gets a dollar, but it is
boring and no fun, and not worth standing
in line.

Human nature will guarantee you that the
mob will want the cash tossed into the crowd
so that they each get a small chance at a big
prize rather than a guaranteed chance at a
small one.  That is the basis of gaming theory.

Under the net-control concept, you check
the web page and decide only to go to th e
handout game on a day when your chances
are better.  If it is a kids pass, then go if you
are a kid.  It is quarter century day and you
are a ham over 25, then that is your best
day.  etc...  The point is, something has to
limit the number of people transmitting.

>Use your equipment, have fun and get the
>most out of it, but not at the expense
>of others enjoying these limited resources!

Thats great advice.  Like the famous stock
market advise.  "Buy low and Sell High!".
The problem is not in knowing what to do,
but in how to do it when there are only 1
share offered and everyone wants it!

>There's 10's of stations having OSCAR class
>stations.  There's 1000's of stations that can
>use the LEOs.  That distinction just doesn't
>seem to gel in the heads of some.

I think that is exactly the problem.  1000's
of stations simply cannot use the single 10 miinute
resource anyway.  That is a fact.  Only about a dozen
or so can in 10 minutes.  SO it simply boils down
to what is the selection criteria for selecting those
dozen who get to transmit -effectively- on this
pass.

In the past, the only system that works most
of the time is more power.  I'm simply suggesting
that if we want to get away from "power" as
the discriminant, then we have to replace it
with something else.  In any case, whatever
it is, it has to reduce the number of people
transmitting (no matter what their power) in
order for a given selection of a dozen stations
to be able to communicate on that pass.

My proposal is for directed nets with the net control
signing up in advance with a published criteria of
his choice.  Everyone gets a chance that way and
it would encourage new and exciting ways to use
this resource.

Directe nets are classic Ham Radio, it works, and it
is efficient at sharing a limited resource when more
than a  few stations must share a channel.

Bob, WB4APR