Re: Crossband repeat on ISS

>>My opinion...[is] that we recognize the facts and
>>simply change our operating to match the situation.
>>[and operate as directed nets...]
>
> I do remember that the directed nets on AO-40 and
> A0-13 went very orderly.  Again, the "Quick passes"
> of LEO's do not allow this sort of thing.

Ah, but it depends on what is meant by "this sort of
thing".  If one's expectations are that a net control
will somehow be able to manage 100 checkins and let
each one of them make a contact during 10 minutes,
then one is simply not understanding that this is impossible.

The purpose of the directed net is to allow the resource
to be used successfully and efficiently by a smaller
number but in a meaningful way.   THe status quo
has been to just let everyone of the 100 transmit
williy-nilly in a congestion limited/power limited way
so that nothing really gets communicated.  The result
is only a few big guns get to say a few sentences.
Lets say about a dozen are "successful" out of the
100 trying.

But the intelligence throughput is very low and the
frustration is very high and it is only the big guns
(usually) that get to use it at will.  The actual throughput
of intelligence is on the order of 30% maybe.  All the
rest of the time it is collisions with no one getting through.

It is simply impossible to get 100 stations with success
anyway.  We must simply recognize that and re-define
how the limited resource is used.

But,  by having a net control managing who transmits,
when, then the "success" rate of voice throughput
should go up to say 90% (triple the throughput) and
instead of meaningless disjoint snippets of half-completed
QSO's, we would have a somewhat more meaningful
dialogs to hear.   No, not everyone (of the 100) will
be able to participate, but the few dozen that do, will
be heard and heard well without collisions, and will be
able to add intelligence to the net, rather than just
inserting their call into bedlam.

It will be much more enriching and entertaining.  I
envision, net controls will think of all kinds of neat
and entertaining things to do.  They will go to special
places to operate portable, or will have specialty
checkins.  Could even do some SSTV, or call for
antique car checkins, or handheld-only passes.
Special events would be routine from school demos
to scout meetings to operating from a canoe.

The bottom line is that instead of hearing senseless
babble from bedlam, the passes would be fun and
entertaining to LISTEN TO, and challenging and
exciting to set up.  And users would respect it because
HAM radio knows how to operate a directed net.
There is only one simple  rule to follow, and that is
not to transmit until invited.  Done.

Yet, it is egalitarian, since anyone from a big-gun
to a handheld can sign up to be netcontrol for any
given pass and HE can define how that pass will
operate and everyone can see in advance what
may be of interest to them, or just tune in and
listen to ham radio at its finest.

de Wb4APR, Bob