Re: Crossband repeat on ISS

On 12/31/05, Scott Avery WA6LIE <wa6lie@msn.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> You are competing with others that also have noclue.
> That is why you are not making it.
> For more info try http://www.rac.ca/ariss/<http://www.rac.ca/ariss/> for more
> info.
>
> The "noise" floor on UHF 437.800 +-10Mhz must be pretty loud!
> Desense is KILLING most from making it.
> Those that are tracking, and using Doppler frequency correction are winning.

Those who are using high gain antennas combined with unnecessary
amounts of power are winning.  I have no problem getting in with an
Arrow and 1 watt -- when the ISS is over the ocean, however when it is
over North America there is so much QRM (whether it be from stations
using incorrect doppler correction or stations with correct doppler
but transmitting at the same time someone else is therefore closing
the squelch so they don't even realise they're causing it to stay
closed) that I can't more than a syllable in at 5 watts.  I thought
about dragging out the 100 watt amplifier, but it's not worth it.  I
can still make a couple contacts on the east coast as the ISS leaves
North America, and a couple in the UK before it gets to continental
Europe.

73,
Mark VO1ONE