Re: ATV from space

AH, combine this with the APRN (Automatic Picture
Relay Network) concept where each SSTV image
is self-identified with an AX.25 packet, and then
each image automatically received on the ground
is *self-identified* for automatic WEB based
collection just like the FINDU system now does for
global APRS....  See APRN ideas on:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprn.html

And this can be done via any existing bird...
de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> "Greg D." <ko6th_greg@hotmail.com> 12/30/05 2:40 AM >>>
Hi folks,

One of Bob's points was that the downlink would be receivable with simple
equipment - standard parts (cable ready TV) and easy to get/make antennas.
This is an important point, IMHO, to making it an excitement generating
operation, which is an important ingredient for success.

Along that line, however, we already have an easy to receive excitement
generator on the horizon - Slow Scan TV from the ISS.  It wasn't on very
long, but towards the end of the Mir mission the crew could often be seen on
their SSTV system.  That definitely got my interest, and I received and
saved several images as the Station passed overhead, all from a 286 PC and a
JVFAX 1-bit interface.  In the years since, things have improved on the
access front - we now have much better hardware in nearly every PC on the
planet, better, DSP-based software has been written, and an Internet to
distribute it and raise awareness to it even being there.

How about doing an APRS igate-thing to the internet with the ISS SSTV
transmissions.  Post them on the web, maybe even as video podcasts (more of
a slide show than a video), along with an article on how you too can
download the software and use your VHF rig or scanner to see what's going on
up there.  Get some mention in Slash Dot and other RSS feeds.  Someday I
wouldn't mind tuning my TV to Cable 50-something and picking up an ATV
transmission, but maybe a first step with SSTV?

Just my $.02,

Greg  KO6TH