Re: ATV from Space?

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>I'd like to form a core design group to design
>a satellite Amateur TV repeater.  Everyone knows
>this wont work unless the satellite has lots of
>power (far beyond our usual power budgets).
>
>But what if there was a launch opportunity that
>had 100 watts or more power available?
>
>I'm in the middle of a lunch campaign and dont
>have time right now to work up a link budget,
>but thought some others might enjoy looking
>at the problem.
>
>1) Assume ranges of 1500 km
>2) Assume 100 watts DC average power
>3) Uplink FM on 1.2 GHz band
>4) Downlink VSB FSTV on 70 cm band
>
>Someone want to work it up and address all
>the issues of bandwidth, coordination,
>compatibility, etc...
>
>Goal would be anyone with a cable ready TV
>to see signals using maybe the gain of a
>handhled Arrow antenna for downlink?
>
>Bob, WB4APR
>US Naval Academy Satellite Lab.
>----

Bob,
It's funny that you suggest this but many times have I said the same
thing. Kids, the future of our hobby, are certainly more visually
impacted vs. a few beeps and squeaks from a black box.  Problems with
your suggestion.  LEO and not HEO.  I must again explain that fleeting
satellites do not draw support.  99+% of people (My unscientific polls)
want HEO satellites and while opportunities for putting together a LEO
satellite are more numerous, a 10 minute pass is not conducive to any
type of  TV work.  Also, 2.4ghz and 1.2 ghz would be the preferred
freqs.   With my limited time to operate a satellite, LEO's aren't there
when I am the majority of the time. I've been successful with the LEO's
many, many times but we need a longer visibility window to give people a
chance to experiment and more operational time.
My time spent representing AMSAT at hamfests and presentations etc. have
resulted in the same common thread- satellite enthusiasts have been
spoiled by OSCAR 10, 13, and 40.  The bottom line is funding and HEO's
is what the squeaking wheels keep above the noise.
Your idea of a TV repeater is a good one, however, it must be visited
with the hopes of attracting a larger audience for financial reasons.
73 & Happy 2006,
Dee, NB2F
P.S.  I've never had a lunch campaign that was that long!!??!!!(Hi, Hi!)