RE: Spirit-2 and FT-847

Jamie and Kevin,

My comments may not pertain to the PacComm TNC:

I have a KPC-3 connected to my FT-847 with no problems for 1200-baud packet
using the 6-pin mini-DIN jack for PKT.  I also made up a cable for
9600-baud with another min-DIN plug to run audio to my soundcard for mix-W
+ Tlm-Echo.

The FT-847 has three mini-DIN jacks: PKT = 6-pin, STBY = 5-pin, and TUNER =
7-pin
PKT jack:
1- Data IN = TXA
2- Gnd
3- PTT
4- 9600 Data OUT
5- 1200 Data OUT
6- SQL

There is no 7th pin.  Perhaps the PacComm TNC uses a 7-line cable so that
is the problem?

Anyway, my experience is that the FT-847 drawing is correct and have no
problems.  Note that drawings view from rear of panel (as they state in the
manual).  What is especially nice is Yaesu used the same connector/pin
assignment on the FT-817 so my cables are compatible switching between
radios for packet (too bad this is not done more often by manufacturers).

73's and HNY,
Ed - KL7UW

At 11:01 AM 12/29/2005 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:
>Jamie,
>I have the same Spirit-2 and FT-847 combination and I am experiencing
>similar though not exactly the same problems.  I cannot seem to receive
>anything (no DCD light) but I am able to transmit, that is to key the rig.
>I have a TM-D700 that I set up for 9600 baud APRS and although my radio
>hears it send spots, my Spirit-2 does not react at all.  I too am curious to
>know if the Yaesu pin-out diagram is incorrect.  I never heard that before
>about past problems with their pin-out diagrams.
>
>I would appreciate hearing also comments on the situation.
>
>Kevin Smith
>N3HKQ

73's,
Ed - KL7UW