Features in replacement FT847. Wish list

FEATURES IN FT847 REPLACEMENT
OR ANY OTHER BRAND CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.!!!!!!!

HI,

There is a 28 pin USB to Serial chip commercially available on the market
that is supplied complete
with the necessary royalty free drivers which allow anybody to manipulate
the flow of data via the USB
engine if so inclined
The output pins of the chip are arranged as  the full 9 pin equivalent of
the traditional DB9 RS-232
at TTL level.

In this scenario there is no neccessity to write specific code for the chip
as it is possible the initialize the USB device
as a virtual COM port simply by using the chip manufacture's no royalty
driver package. (The chip in this
configuration initializes as a Serial to USB adaptor identical to those sold
commercially.)

Ergo!!!!!!

Take ANY new replacement rig contemplated. From the design,  remove the RS
232 and/or the TTL socket,
 remove the RS-232 level changing chip if fitted, . Fit the chip mentioned
above, replace the removed TTL level RS232  connections  with those from the
chip. Fit a
 standard USB entry socket, and this wish list item is then complete.

None of the rig manufactures need change any of their command code
protocols, (warts and all), or any
proprietory programs that  may have been generated. (The only change is a
virtual COM
port via the USB medium.inside the new rig)

The beauty of this particular chip is that it is universal. We can all
write  code for it easily, if it is required for some exotic radio mode.

I have no affilation in any form with the chip manufacturer mentioned above.
I use the chips in rigs I have
modified myself. My FT847/USB  for instance.

73

Dave Lamont  ZL2AMD