Re: Attenuation from trees?

At 09:43 12/24/2005, you wrote:

  Hi Steve

  I am a Camp Ground Host for the USFS in MN (EN37) from the first on May
to the first of Oct. my Camp spot has major trees to the North and East but
open to the South and  West . I have a VUCC and several AMSAT awards earned
over the last 4 years I have been in residence. I work both the FM and SSB
birds.

Here are my observations on trees and Satellites.  In May it is possible to
work the north quadrant but as the leaves start to appear the ability to
get signals from the birds drops much more so for the 434 down link than on
a bird with a 145 down link. You can see this pattern in the QSL cards that
I receive as the summer progresses.
Short of a chain saw there is on solution to the problem for me.  But it is
a seasonal thing  I have  worked  Ice land and Greenland plus Northern
England  all before May 31st (AO7). Now if I just get HI from there I would
have my WAS.   HI is not possible with the birds in orbit at this time .

73
Brock

>Hi All,
>
>         I'm having a discussion with a friend about the effect of trees
> on the 70cm
>downlink from AO51, SO50, and AO27. I have a few trees and it doesn't seem
>all that bad to me. I wonder what other folks experience has been. If you
>have a problem, what have you done to overcome it?
>
>Merry Xmas etc. to all.
>Steve .. AI7W
>lm #2270
>----