Re: Features in FT-847--Same Band

Don,

Excellent work! I wish I had consulted the group
earlier on this issue. I have actually been working
with another programmer to combat this problem for our
own cubesat project, but could not overcome the 10kHz
shift limitation. I will be sure to refer him to the
link you posted. Nevertheless, it would certainly make
it easier to all to have CAT-controlled SPLIT MODE to
adjust both up/downlink frequencies real time!

Thanks,

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB

http://www.sunsunsun.net/kd4app/Full_Doppler_on_the_FT847.htm

> Basically ...
>
> Several people have looked at the Yaesu FT-847 CAT
> command set and
> concluded it can’t do full Doppler control on
> “same-band� satellites
> like ISS – I.E. those where the TX and RX
> frequencies are in the
> same-band.  The premise of this belief was linked to
> a “10 kHz
> limitation�. The FT-847 CAT “offset� command
> appears to offer 10 Hz
> resolution, but anything entered beyond 10 kHz
> resolution is ignored -
> this is the only CAT function which is limited to
> this resolution – in
> fact all other frequency related commands offer as
> fine as 10 Hz
> resolution.
>
> The FT-847 cannot be used to work “same-band�
> satellites in “satellite�
> mode because the FT-847 satellite mode can’t have
> the same band for both
> the TX and RX sides.
>
> My work in this document is based on using the
> “Main Frequency VFO�
> rather than “satellite� mode. I will also
> utilize the “repeater shift�
> function� and the “offset� function.   All of
> the examples in this paper
> can be achieved using the existing CAT commands
> found on the FT-847.
> While the FT-847 CAT commands may have some
> limitations, a little bit of
> software can overcome these limitations and full
> Doppler correction can
> be achieved on “same-band� satellites like ISS
> and PCSAT.
>
> I will leave it as an exercise to the reader to
> implement this method to
> achieve full Doppler correction.  A test of concept
> was performed under
> Linux and the expected results were achieved –
> unfortunately I don’t
> have the time to write a full blown same-band
> satellite Doppler
> correcting program for the FT-847 – I’d rather
> see the various
> tracking/tuner programs implement this in their
> code.
>
> 73's
>
> Don Woodward
> KD4APP