Re: Features in FT-847 replacement, wish list

I agree that the linked TX/RX sat tuning is a cool feature, but I think it can be improved upon. The current linked tuning ratio on the 847 is 1 to 1 when the ratio of Doppler shift on 70cm compared to 2m is approx 3 to 1. Of course, you can use the sub tune knob to fine-tune the uplink, but its use could almost be eliminated if the VFOs tuned in the proper ratio. It seems to me that enabling the feature would improve the clarity of FM voice transmissions at lower elevations where the TX side is slightly over/under tuned.

  My other suggestion for the next Yaesu sat rig would be the ability to control the SPLIT MODE tuning from the CAT interface. This is because many airborne cubesats and the ISS operate on the same band, and tuning must be performed by hand both cases. The necessity is not so critical for 2m ops as it it for 70cm.

  Matt Bennett
  KF6RTB

  My dream Satellite Rig: wf1f

I agree with most of the features you have listed.
Lets hope that Yeasu, Icom and Kenwood are listening.
I would even pay up to $3k usd for such a box.

I would like to see it in an Icom IC-756 case, with a
faster Spectrum analyzer and without the HF (below 10
or 6 meters). Lets call this fictional radio the
FR-956 Pro (FR = Fictional Radio).

I would also need the Satellite mode switch from the
Yeasu FT-736. I love the way the Rotating Satellite
knob works , its much better than Function-Buttons.
And it allows you to easily adjust TX or RX Doppler.
When Yeasu developed the FT-736 they got it right and
made the best satellite radio ever. I also own a
fully loaded Icom-910 and found it completely missed
the mark on the satellite bands (its now for sale). I
am going to keep my Yeasu FT-736 until the FR-956 Pro
arrives

My additions:
ATV for 440, 900, 1.2g, and 2.4 VSB, FM, NTSC and PAL
TX and RX
With auto Doppler correction for doing Moon TV
watching.
AM All bands
FM 2.5k, 5k and wideband 20k Stereo TX and RX (20k is
legal on 440 and 1.2, etc)

>From John Klim
1.IF DSP
2. Spectrum display
3. Computer interface (USB not serial)
4. Add other Microwave modules (5 GHz for example)
5. Interface for Digital modes (RTTY, PSK, and others)

>From John Geiger

1. Optional modules for 222, 902, and 2.4G.
2. Cover 10m/6m/2m/70cm/23cm as standard. Full HF
would be nice,
3. 100 watts on 6/2/70cm with 25 watts on 1.2g.
4. Built in SWR meter, voice keyer, CW memory keyer,
TCXO and AM/FM
subreceiver (like the TS2000) with crossband repeat
capability.
5. Ability to send 12 volts up any one of the coax
lines to power
mast mounted preamps.
6. The ability to select, via menus, which bands go
with which coax
jacks. If you have a dual band 2/70 antenna, it would
be nice to put both bands on the same coax jack, etc.
The 817 is able to do this in a crude way.
7. Most would like a built in TNC. I have no
interest in packet, so I can't really comment on
what is needed for that.
http://mail.yahoo.com

Matt Bennett
KF6RTB