Re: New England Listen for Balloon!

On 12/19/05, ChrisGW6KZZ@aol.com <ChrisGW6KZZ@aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 19/12/2005 13:24:56 GMT  Standard Time,
> lucleblanc6@videotron.ca writes:
> On 18 Dec 2005 at 9:57,  Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> >> A High altitude balloon was launched  Saturday
> >> from the USA and did not burst.  It  is now  300 miles
> >> out over the atlantic and headed towards europe at
> >> 136 MPH:
>
> >As per weather maps the balloon seems to be in  the jet stream! He can make
> it
> >to europe if he survive high winds with  some down draft blocking him to
> reach
> >high altitude.
>
> Luc, I have been monitoring the band all last night and all day Monday and
> still not heard anything but we are still hoping. I know I can hear the
> frequency at distance as I picked up the Navy Academy's callsign via NO-44 I
> believe though I did not know the satellite transmitted on 144.390 MHz  direct
> unless the balloon as a repeater on it?
>
> W3ADO-1>BEACON,SGATE/V [19/12/05 13:22:53]:  <UI>:
> T#004,162,163,055,209,213,11111111,0011,1
>
> If the balloon is still up it should be close to either Europe or may be
> even further south depending on the high altitude winds and directions.

By the looks of the last bunch of packets from the balloon, I'd say
it's in the ocean, somewhere southeast of Sable Island, NS.  It was
floating around 110,000 feet for a  good long while, and then at 1523Z
it started to decend at a rate of about 4000-4500 feet per minute
until 1536Z @ 56,000 feet at which the rate slowed to about 1000 feet
per minute.  This continued until the last packet received at almost
1600Z at 37624 feet when it probably fell out of range of the digis
closest to it in Nova Scotia.

http://tinyurl.com/bv4a5