D-star, and Cute 1.7

A recent article on arrl.org describes how the ARRL is experimenting with
the D-star digital system through equipment loaned from Icom.
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2005/12/14/1/?nc=1
I wonder if Icom would be willing to partner with an amateur satellite
group to provide equipment in a similar way. Has anyone with the technical
skills looked at these protocol with an eye to space communications?
Digital audio and data transfer in one package would be quite nice.

On the topic of digital innovations, space and Japan, note that Cute 1.7 is
set for launch in something like 2 months. See
http://lss.mes.titech.ac.jp/ssp/cute1.7/index_e.html
which states that there will be an open digipeater on board, apparently in
mode L/U, though http://www.amsat-dl.org/journal/adlj-tab.htm reports mode
V/U and mode L/U.

Me, I'm just trying to keep my CW signals from wandering all across the band...

73, Bruce
VE9QRP