Re: Question from VO-52 Dutch Transponder Designer

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:45:22PM -0800, William Leijenaar wrote:
> Hi AMSATs,
>
> As designer of the Dutch transponder on the HAMSAT
> (VO-52) I like to know how my radio is working up
> there. I get many emails with positive news, but
> actually I am looking for RF measurements.

I can send you pointers to some mp3s from your transponder if you
are interested. I usually record my qsos on the sats.

This is also a good time to mention most folks are running way too
much power into Williams transponder. It does not take much, I can usually
get away with 5 watts the entire pass (CW). Some of the pumping
and the artefacts that sound like someone talking on top of CW stations
are really nasty. Both the CW and SSB guys are guilty of running too much
power, it's not an us vs. them. I hear CW pumping I hear voice weirdness.
(I run both modes depending on how late it is at night. CW is quieter. ;-) )
I also used to hear similar on the Dutch transponder, so this isn't a
new problem.

Folks, try dropping your power a bit listening to yourself and see if you
notice any difference.  I bet you won't.

- 73 Diane VA3DB

--
- db@db.net http://www.db.net/~db