Re: Features in FT-847 replacement

john.klim@verizon.net wrote:
> Here is my $.02 worth on what else a new rig should include.
>
> 1. IF DSP
> 2. Spectrum display
> 3. Computer interface (USB not serial)
> 4. Add other Microwave modules (5 GHz for example)
> 5. Interface for Digital modes (RTTY, PSK, and others)

Hey, since we're just dreaming here and money is no object... (heh)...

Add in some more from me:

1. Flash upgradable firmware and updates.  Probably for a price, but
hey... I'd take it.

2. Open-source firmware code.  (Yeah, now I'm really dreaming.)

3. Open standards and hardware engineering documentation for interfacing
additional add-in band modules (wow, wouldn't THAT be cool?... just let
other people like DEM make the ones Yaesu doesn't want to make.)  Just
make room for a transverter board or two inside the case... with a card
edge connector... like a PC or any modern personal computer...

4. Oh yeah, that one would require... a way to dump a serial stream that
contains info to show frequency and modes on the LCD.  (Keep dreamin'
Nate...)

5. Or alternately ... an open standard on the serial port (or USB since
you like that better..) to dump ALL internal telemetry out to external
devices.

6. Digital mode capabilities BEYOND packet.  (Want to buy an APCO-25
stack and the IMBE vocoder?  Knock yourself out... just dump your copy
you bought from some 3rd party vendor who's partnered with Yaesu to sell
them -- along with someone's nasty DRM to keep others from copying it --
into the radio.  Same thing with D-STAR.)

That's all the data geek in me can think of at 2AM... wouldn't those be
fun?  ;-)

Might put the experimentation back into radio, for some people who've
not experimented for a long time... a little midnight software hacking
of your favorite all-band (and we mean ALL band...) radio, anyone?

The promise of SDR radios is similar to this, but SDR requires some
heavy lifting when it comes to code.  Perhaps a more "attainable" but
FUN radio would be one where the manufacturer opens up the rig's
interfaces and let's the hams go at it, right from the start.  No
reverse-engineering their silly serial protocols just to tune the darn
thing.

Imagine what hams might come up with using a rig that flexible.

Today, manufacturers make ham radios like they make commercial radios...
to do specific functions.

Instead, open up the interfaces to the internal CPU, and let the hams
have at it... new protocols, new modes... it'd happen.  Yaesu could take
the "best" ones, and release them as "standard" in paid-for firmware
releases and have a small but continuous revenue stream, perhaps...

Think in terms of BIG changes in how we interact with manufactured
radios... not "feature requests".

If one ham can start a project like Ham Radio Deluxe with
closed-interface radios... imagine the possibilities with open-interface
ones...

Nate WY0X