6 Buck S-band Downconverter results and question

Greetings,

First the question: Has anyone successfully used their 6 buck
downconverter with a simple low gain antenna like a patch or corner
reflector to work AO-51?

I converted my CalAmp 130215 by changing the crystal and tuning the
filter using a low level 2.4GHz signal source but so far have only
achieved marginal results. Using a preamp ahead of the downconverter
signals are Q5 and I made several contacts. Without the preamp I can
pick out an occasional word or two out of the noise but QSO's are
impossible. Comments and/or suggestions welcome.

73,
Steve WI2W