From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of Lowell White
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 4:28 PM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] re: AO-40 - cameras?

Possible idea:

Would we perhaps benefit from trying to mount external, craft-facing (at
some angle(s)) cameras to help self-monitor our own future satellites?

Maybe a camera or two mounted near an edge of a particular surface to give a
partial view of that surface / near proximity...

Granted they might not survive but a shot at some additional "telemetry"
might be beneficial. Cheap or partial info would be better than none.

Kind regards,

Lowell
K9LDW

On 12/7/2005 at 11:27 AM John Mock wrote:

>This is perhaps a frequently asked question...
>
>>> Is it [conceivable] to point another bird at AO-40 and get a picture
>>> of
>it?
>>> Maybe then some answers would be known.
>
>Space is a rather large place and the probability of an amateur
>satellite coming close enough for a photograph is extremely small.  And
>i doubt we even have a satellite with suitable resolution to tell us
>what might have happened from even a 100 feet (30m) away.  The only
>group who MIGHT be able to get a vaguely meaningful picture would be
>some intelligence organization (probably U.S.)  and they certainly
>wouldn't want to disclose their optical capabilities by releasing such
>a picture to anyone not having a very high security clearance.
>
>And that would only show its current state and not tell us whether we
>had one incident or two.
>		           -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, Satellite
QRPer)