Re: USAF's XSS-11 Satellite and AO-40

Two ways too look at this....

1) A LEO "servicing" satellite at about 1000 km altitude
    is going to be going at something like 17,000 MPH.
   AO-40 when it swings by that same low altitude from its
   much higher altitude is going about say 19,000 MPH.
   So the camera satellite will be trying to take the
   picture of AO-40 going  by at about 2000 MPH or faster
   than a speeding bullet.

2) If the LEO servicing satellite uses an extrordinary amount
    of fuel to try to match AO-40's speed, then not only has
    it used up precious fuel, but it now finds itself in the same
    Molynia orbit as AO-40 and tht is not where it wants to be.

Just something to thinnk about.... Bob

>>> "Christensen, Eric" <CHRISTENSENE@MAIL.ECU.EDU> 12/11/05 8:41 AM >>>
I just read an article in November 2005's Popular Science titled "Battlefield
Space" (Page 50-57).  They mentioned many new technologies that the US Air
Force was working on including mid-space refueling for satellites.  Their
XSS-11 satellite, which should fly in 2006, will be designed to get close to
satellites using its' cameras.  I wonder if we can volunteer AO-40 as a
"target" to see if they can maneuver around it and maybe get some pictures
during the event so that we can see what happened and what condition the bird
is in.

I recommend that everyone read this article as it is very good at showing some
of the newer technologies that are out there.  There is more available online
at popsci.com/spacewar.

73s,
Eric KF4OTN