Icom 271/371/471/1271 Battery

I finally scored an IC-1271A (It doesn't transmit, but I am going to fix
that).  I know there is a memory battery.  I believe the one in this radio
has never been changed.

1.  I understand when the battery dies the radio will not function.  Also
replacing a dead battery will not return the function as the radio will need
reprogramming.

     Is this correct?

2.  I believe the battery can be replaced while paralleled with the proper
voltage (hot swapped), and this will allow for continued operation.

     Has anyone done this?

3.  Will keeping the radio connected to a running power supply at all times
prevent the need to replace the battery?

4.  Has anyone installed the permanent fix to this problem (nonvolatile RAM)
such as:
http://www.willcoele.com/    ????

Thanks and 73,
Gary "Joe" Mayfield, kk0sd